8 Feb 2014

Monthly Wrap Up: January & February Reads

Hey all!

I'm going to try to do a new thing on here. It's similar to a weekly roundup, except it will take place at the beginning and end of each month. At the beginning, I will plan out my reads, and at the end I'll check back in and see how I did, as well as remind you all (and myself) which reviews I've done the past month.
It should hopefully get me back on track to blogging as regularly as possible (I'd like to two at least two posts a week). These will likely come as two separate posts in the future, but since it's no longer January, I merged the two months.
And for the books I didn't get a chance to review each month, I'll write a short review of my thoughts so no book is left in the shadows.
Let's get started!

Books I Read in January:

Independent Study (The Testing #2) by Joelle Charbonneau

To date still one of my favourite futuristic series! You can read my review on the first book in the series, The Testing, by clicking -here-. IS was just as good as The Testing, if not better, and I cannot WAIT for the final book in the trilogy. Graduation Day is out in June 2014. The conclusion should be an expected epic one.




And then I went on a contemporary kick with the following four:

Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan

An interesting POV. I admit it took me a while to get used to the story being told by the all-seeing generation of men lost to AIDS, but the characters and their stories were too intriguing for me to want to put the down. This book was fantastically written and a great LGBT read I highly recommend you add to your shelves.



How to Love by Katie Cotugno

I loved this book a lot more than I thought I would! For someone who gets bored with contemporary, I couldn't really put this one down. I liked that it was honest, and a more mature YA. The plot didn't feel cheap or cheesy, and the characters were well developed. I'd read more contemporary like this one.




The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine

This one I summed up on my Goodreads review as 'cute'. It did not blow me away, but the writing was superb - it switched chapter by chapter to the two main characters' point of views, and their voices were distinct, which is very difficult to do. Kudos to the author for a great debut novel. If any of you are looking for a Valentine's Read (because why not?), I recommend this.



Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

This is an older book, but still a fabulous read by the amazing David Levithan. I'd love to see this turned into a film (isn't it about time?). Anyone else? Comment with your fancasts if you've got 'em. If you haven't read Boy Meets Boy yet, I highly recommend that you do. It's another great LGBT and Valentine's read that will leave you smiling and maybe even shedding a tear or two.





My February Reading Plan

I'm currently reading three books (I know Goodreads says four, but one's on hold until I feel like picking it back up again). I'd like to get through them by the end of this month, as well as read another one or two. So here's the plan:



2 comments:

  1. Your February looks a lot like mine! Once I finish Cress, I'll be reading Ignite Me then Champion. Who hoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be a goooood month of books! That's probably the order I'll be reading them in as well (followed by Fracture Me and The Queen's Choice). I've already started Champion but I'm not worried enough about spoilers to bump it up

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for sharing your thoughts! Feel free to link me to your blog as well so I can return the comment love :)