24 Aug 2012

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer



Title: Cinder
Series: Lunar Chronicles
Author: Marissa Meyer
Blurb: Goodreads Description
Rating: 5/5

Review:

I had been on the fence about reading this book for a while before I finally caved and bought it from the book store. Honestly, I did not expect to enjoy this book as much as did. I had always been curious about it because I love reading different takes on fairy tales, and Cinder is very loosely based off of the classic tale of Cinderella.

What always kept me from purchasing Cinder was the cyborg element. Sci-fi has never really been my thing, and while the blurb intrigued me, I was never sure if I was intrigued enough. I had people recommending this book to me left and right, and once I picked it up, I beat myself up for not reading this bit of genius sooner.

The story was just so captivating that I was never bored. A plague? A post-apocalyptic world? A snarky main character who I fell in love with instantly? A classic tale spun into a unique plot? Check, check, check, and check! This book is one that will forever sit on my favourites list. Right from when I started reading it I knew it would be a five star read for me, and not once did anything change my mind.

The characters are amazing. Kai, especially, caught my eye. Not just because he is the love interest and we're supposed to adore him, but because there was so much depth in his character. This story is told at a time where everything in his life is going wrong. We get to see just how Kai handles everything as it hits rock bottom. And he is not perfect. I think his reactions to everything towards the end of the book shoot his potential perfection in the foot. It was really refreshing to read such an interesting character, and it was great that Kai was not the only one.

Cinder has to be my favourite character of the books. Yes, she is the main character and that is probably to be expected, but it is usually the secondary characters that I fall in love with more. But I wanted Cinder to be my best friend. I am rooting for her in ways I have never rooted for a main character before. I am on her side. I want to physically injure every character who says something cruel to her. I feel so much for this character. Cinder drew me in and she's kept me. I need to know the rest of her story. And I need everything to go right for her in the end. She has lost so much, and she deserves the very best, because even when people were bringing her down, she stood up to them. She is determined, snarky, and a wonderful character. I loved reading her. Cinder has to be my favourite character that I have read so far this year, and I have read a lot of books this year. She's just a favourite and I am very attached.

And of course while characters are important and all, there are other important elements to a story that need to be paid some respect. The plot in this book? Outstanding. Seriously. I mean, the 5/5 says it all. I loved this plot. And I am looking forward to the next books in this series. I am very curious as to see how other fairy tales will play a part.

Now before I spoil anything, I just have to say this: if you aren't a sci-fi fan, or a fairy tale fan, or a post-apocalyptic fan, I still recommend this book. Borrow it from a friend or your local library and give it a read. It just might surprise you as it did me. It was not the genres that drew me into this story, but the characters and the plot. Amazing read. I don't even know what else to say that wouldn't bring me into a full scale fangirling rant that would be full of spoilers.

Brilliant. I adored this book. I have to wait until February for the next? Ahhh!

0 comments:

Leave a comment...

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for sharing your thoughts! Feel free to link me to your blog as well so I can return the comment love :)