1 Sept 2012

Mini Review: Iron's Prophecy


Title: Iron's Prophecy
Author: Julie Kagawa
Placement in Series: 4.5
Series: The Iron Fey
Rating: 5/5
Blurb:
Meghan Chase is finally getting used to being the Iron Queen, ruler of the Iron Fey. Her life may be strange, but with former Winter prince Ash by her side at last, she wouldn’t have it any other way.

But when they travel to the Summer and Winter courts’ gathering for Elysium, the oracle from Meghan’s past returns with a dire prophecy: “What you carry will either unite the courts, or it will destroy them.” Now Meghan faces a devastating choice that may determine the future of all fey—and her and Ash’s unborn child…
 I honestly did not know exactly what I was expecting when I began to read the final novella of the Iron Fey series that followed Meghan Chase's adventures. Certainly not a hint as to what we might see in Ethan Chase's series, that's for sure.
What I was mostly relieved about was that this novella was not just a 'hey look -- Meghan and Ash lived happily ever after' novella. There was a lot of actual content and conflict; basically, this story was not fluff.

In Iron's Prophecy, we learn that Meghan is pregnant (this does not count as a spoiler, considering is reveals that in the blurb), but there are some complications, of course. The Oracle visits Meghan and has something to tell the Iron Queen, but Meghan must meet the Oracle at a certain location. Accompanying her, as usual, are some old favourites, Grimalkin and Puck, and of course her knight, Ash.

I just have to admit here that I could not read this novella all at once. When I realised how much I missed these characters, I freaked out so much that in order to maintain my sanity, I had to put the book down. Seriously, if you had seen me on my social networking sites while reading this novella... I was crazy. It's just... these characters!

As usual, Julie Kagawa's writing is impeccable. Iron's Prophecy was a nice last adventure we could all take with Meghan, Ash, Puck, and Grim before we begin journeying with Ethan Chase on his adventures. Iron's Prophecy helped bridge the gap between The Lost Prince, for reasons I will not reveal. At least, that is what I am predicting based on what we learned in this novella.

This is definitely a must-read if you have read the Iron Fey series. And if not, then I highly recommend them. I caught on to the series a little late (just after The Iron Knight was released), and fell in love immediately. The character development is refreshing, and the unique twist Julie Kagawa added to the fey world is amazing. She certainly knows how to bring back an 'overly done' (as some might say) genre by adding her own imaginative spins. She did the same with her vampire-dystopia, The Immortal Rules, which I wrote a review on a while back.

Now to wait two more months for the first book in the Call of the Forgotten series :D
I certainly cannot wait!

2 comments:

  1. YES I TOTALLY AGREE! I mean, Julie's writing is FLAWLESS all the time and she always does so great on the world building and it feels like you're in the Nevernever! And also, the characters are so layered and well-built and it was so sweet to see how Meghan and Ash had evolved as a couple and it was SO sweet. I completely violated my copy of this book I marked post-it flags EVERYWHERE O_O Also, I already got to read The Lost Prince and everybody makes cameos and I just LOVED it ack! I'm so buying a finished copy so I can violate that one too ;) Awesome review I'm so glad you liked this one as much as I did! I'm totally sooo excited too see how Ethan's story continues and if the prophecy comes true O_O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh you got to read The Lost Prince? I'm too jealous for words!!
    BUT I'm glad to hear everyone makes cameos. I know I'll probably freak the flip out at Puck's. I love him too, too much <3

    I'm glad you marked up your book with post its and not pencil/pen/marker/etc! (I hope, haha)

    I really hope the prophecy doesn't come true! But it'd be interesting to see it play out and maybe have it change at the end so that what the Oracle predicted doesn't completely happen. Eep. Thankfully there are only two months left for The Lost Prince to come out. Right after my birthday <3 Happy birthday to meeee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for sharing your thoughts! Feel free to link me to your blog as well so I can return the comment love :)