26 Jun 2012

Review: Infinity



Title: Infinity
Series:  Chronicles of Nick
Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Goodreads Link: Goodreads Description
Rating: 4/5

Review:
(Note: This review contains minor spoilers.)
Firstly may I just point out how much I like the 'f' on the cover? Okay, cool. Moving on.


I really enjoyed this book. It's the first 'zombie' book I've read, and it wasn't what I expected. Then again, I don't really know what I expected. There is a lot going on in this book, and I was left very confused as to who could be trusted and who was and was not aware of all of the supernatural going on. But I'm pretty sure that was the point, considering we were left with a very confused Nick.


I do not have too much to say about this book. In this case, it's a good thing. I thought the writing was good; it felt juvenile at times, but if that botheres you, you have to keep in mind that it's written from the main character's point of view, and he is a fourteen year old male. The voice throughout the book was perfect. And when it switched points of view to someone who was not our fourteen year old Nick, the voice was readably more mature, so Sherrilyn Kenyon did a great job on that.


One thing I noticed was the mention of Dark Hunters. I guess I'm a bit slow realizing this, but Sherrilyn Kenyon wrote a series about Dark Hunters. Chronicles of Nick is a series that is loosely connected to her Dark Hunters series, I'm assuming. I definitely want to read that series to see where this all 'began', for lack of a much better term.


There were a lot of characters introduced, and so many were male that I kept forgetting who was who. I'm just generally not good with names right away, so it was not until I reached halfway through the book that I was finally able to say 'okay, this character is Nick's bully' or 'okay, this character is a random football player'.


I really enjoyed Nick's character. He was a very believeable character, but he was also very interesting. I liked how even towards the end of the book he was in denial about most things. There aren't a lot of people who will just sit back and accept that the world as they knew it was actually full of supernatural beings. He called bull on a lot of characters who tried to tell him of this, which kept things very real. There are too many books out there nowadays where a main character will be introduced to some strange concept, and they will accept it within the first half of the book. The book is finished and Nick is still a skeptic. Although if I were Nick I would have just accepted it all by the time he met Simi. I mean, really, how could you not tell simply by the way that she spoke and acted that she is pretty out there.


And I just love his mother. She's an amazing person who brought her son up right. I think her whole story is just really tragic, too, and she's a secondary character I've come to love. Oh please don't let her die. I mean just think of what it would do to Nick.


The one reservation I had with this book is how no major or secondary characters died. Not that I wanted any to, but with everything that was going on, I find it crazy that no one was killed. Everyone miraculously escaped, with only Nick and that guy who got a chunk taken out of his arm having the most serious injuries. I guess this isn't really a complaint, though. I mean, the major chunk of the plot happened in one night and most of the supernatural stuff was happening around Nick, and all of the explanations the characters had for surviving made sense. Maybe I'm just too used to seeing and expecting deaths in books. Plus there are three (four?) more books to go in this series. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.
And what even happened to the principal? I mean, I'm assuming he died, but that was not very clear to me. Then again, Nick could probably care less, and so perhaps that is why.


There are so many questions I have that I'm sure will be answered in the next books (and one I know is since I have already started on the second in this series, Invincible), plus I feel like anything else I have to say about the book is a huge spoiler, so I'm going to cut this review short. Basically, if you're into the supernatural and don't mind a book from a fourteen year old's perspective, give this one a try. It's pretty fast paced and I was never bored.

0 comments:

Leave a comment...

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for sharing your thoughts! Feel free to link me to your blog as well so I can return the comment love :)