4 Apr 2013

Wasteland by Lynn Rush



Title: Wasteland
Series: The Wasteland Trilogy
Placement in Series: Book 1/3
Author: Lynn Rush
Description:
Bound by the blood contract his human mother signed four centuries ago, half-demon, David Sadler, must obey his demonic Master's order to capture fifteen-year-old Jessica Hanks. But as he learns more about her, he realizes she may be the key to freedom from his dark enslavement.The only obstacle-Jessica's distractingly beautiful Guardian, Rebeka Abbott. He must not give in to their steamy chemistry, or he will lose his humanity. But fresh off a quarter millennia of sensory deprivation as punishment for not retrieving his last target, he may not be able to resist temptation long enough to save what's left of his human soul.

Review:
This book was unlike anything I've ever read. I meant to read it a lot sooner than I did, but it had been sitting on my Kobo e-reader (which I tend to forget I own and have books on -- oops!) for months. Finally, obviously, I picked it up, and of course, I am glad I did! I have been following Lynn Rush on her Twitter and Facebook and her blog, and participated in many of her #GetRushed parties (you guys should really check them out! I've discovered lots of great authors by doing so, and heard of even more intriguing books!), and she's great fun to interact with. But enough about that - let's get to the book!
(Caution: This review is slightly spoilery. If you are like me and don't like even hints at what happens, you might want to come back after you read this book. Which you should totally do. Read this book. And then come back ;) )

What I liked about Wasteland:
The plot was really intriguing. Like I said, Wasteland is unlike anything I'd ever read before. A half-demon bound by contract to his Master, forced to retrieve his Mark (humans Master wants to make demons), and if he fails, he is subjected to centuries of torture? Definitely unique, which was refreshing. David, the complicated half-demon, was also very well-written. Even though I had no idea where the story was going to take me, I was confident enough in David to stick with him. The way his character was written made me feel like I was inside his mind, feeling what he felt, hearing/seeing/touching what he heard/saw/felt. And I was certainly rooting for him all of the way.

What I did not like about Wasteland:
There were a few parts in the writing where I felt more could have been added. I came across a few scenes throught the first half of the book that made me feel I missed a page, because one moment we're in David's head, and the next he's slashing a demon without any textual indication that demons were there. Some things happened a little too fast that I had to back up to make sure I did not miss a paragraph or skip a page on my e-reader.

There were also some certain character choices (as in choices the characters made) that frustrated me a little, and this is just me shaking my finger at the characters themselves. Most specifically (and my only point for this matter, actually) whenever Beka and David went off to have their 'sexy times', the timing was not always the most appropriate. I mean, I understand that they were both deprived, but come on guys, your friend is dying and needs your help! Not so much a negative point against the book as a 'really, characters?'

What I loved about Wasteland:
I think my favourite part about this book were the characters, especially how they interacted with one-another. I want to say Beka and David were my favourite pair, but there was always a smile on my face when it came to the David and Russel scenes. I'd love to read more about these two, because I feel they will be good friends (and it was always a laugh seeing David get irritated with Russel calling David his King).
I would love to read more about Jessica, as well. I felt almost as if Beka and David are her parents, the way they care for her, and it was the sweetest thing. It was refreshing to read about a main character, also, who wasn't fighting for his life to save the woman he loved romantically. He fought with her and saw her as an equal (which I cannot say for all books, and loved every minute of it in Wasteland!) as they tried to save Jessica together. Beka's strength as a character was great as well. Even when David tried telling her no, you have to stay behind, she stood her ground (or air, if they were flying ;) ).

I also really enjoyed the action-packed fight scenes! They were so vividly written I was cringing whenever weapons struck flesh (whether or not I knew that flesh would heal quickly) and doing my best not to skip ahead to make sure all of the characters came out of it okay (and felt strongly for them when they did not).

I can't wait to read the rest of this trilogy. All I know about it is that the next two books involve different main characters. I'm excited to meet them, although I'm going to miss David and Beka.

Overall, interesting story with some great characters whom I will miss if they do not make appearances in the next two books. Man, though, Beka and David need to sort out some of their priorities ;) I mean I know they had both been sexually-deprived for centuries, but there are times (like when the person they are supposed to be protecting is dying and time is of the essence) when it is not the time for sexy times, haha.

Anyway, I look forward to reading the rest of this series, and I do recommend this book to all of you (who are of the maturity level and can handle the more NA scenes).


wasteland rating: 3.5/5

Have you read Wasteland yet? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Caution: Comments may include spoilers.


Where you can buy this book:

In Canada:
(see Kobo)

In the USA:
Barnes and Noble

Internationally:
Amazon

For your e-reader:
Kindle
Kobo
Nook

0 comments:

Leave a comment...

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for sharing your thoughts! Feel free to link me to your blog as well so I can return the comment love :)