23 Dec 2012

Old Favourites #2: Christmas Classics

(I'm bringing back Old Favourites. If you would like to participate in this meme, let me know in the comments and link me to your blog. If enough people participate, I can make this an official meme with a specific blog post about it and a list of blogs participating and everything!)

It seems only fitting to do a Christmas-themed blog post, right? Thought so.

This episode of Old Favourites (it's okay to call it an episode, right? Pretend you're watching tv or something. Okay. Moving on) I'd like to talk about one of my favourite Christmas classics.

Yep. How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Who doesn't love Dr. Seuss, right? I, along with hopefully everyone ever, grew up reading Dr. Seuss. And each year my brother and I would sit in front of the tv several times in December watching the half hour animated movie adaptation of this wonderful book.

It features everything a book about Christmas should have: memorable morals, remarkable rhymes, and incredible visuals (sorry, I couldn't keep up with the alliteration there. I hope you'll forgive me).

Dr. Suess' stories are classic, and I'm glad to see that parents are still buying their children these books, and especially that they are continuing to buy those that have been made into movies. But that's a topic for another blog post.

Christmas. Old Favourites. Right. Get back on track, Courtney.

The moral in The Grinch is, of course, an important one. It highlights family and community unity, reminding children that Christmas (and other holidays) are not all about the decorations and the presents (even if those are great bonuses). Christmas is about family and friends and being with the people you care most about and who cares most about you.
It's an important anti-materialistic message that everyone should be introduced to at a young age, especially with the advances in technology that are mind-blowingly putting iPads in the hands of six year olds (seriously, parents?). It's messages like those in Seuss that our children should be reading (or hearing, if they are too young or inable to read).

Not only that, but Seuss' stories are fun to read! And that's what makes them all the more appealing. I had no idea I was being taught life lessons in these books when I read them. I read them and I loved them, and I even read them today.

Parents, aunts/uncles, grandparents, guardians, older siblings, etc, I hope you're gifting some Seuss to the children in your life.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, fellow readers and bloggers.
And, of course, happy reading!


Since we're on the topic, what are your favourite Seuss books?
Green Eggs and Ham and The Lorax both tie at number one for me.

0 comments:

Leave a comment...

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for sharing your thoughts! Feel free to link me to your blog as well so I can return the comment love :)